Steps to transfer a domain name to DoodleIT Web Design.
Transferring a domain name needn’t be a difficult task if the steps below are followed properly.
Transfers are normally FREE (but not always so check first).
Transferring a .co.uk to DoodleIT Web Design
To do this all you need to do is request the following from your current provider:
- Provide DoodleIT with your details so we can register it in your name. We’ll tell you what we need.
- Please change the Nominet TAG to EXTEND and inform us once this has been done.
- Let DoodleIT know when this has been done and we will initiate the transfer for you.
- NB Ownership of ALL domain names will remain with the client and NEVER with DoodleIT.
Transferring a top-level domain name such as .com or .org to DoodleIT
This process is more complicated but this is what needs to be done. NB., the order in which you do this is critical:
- The current registrar will usually insist that at least 60 days are remaining before the expiry date of the domain name.
- Ensure the administrative contact email address is or an email address which you can receive. (this is of vital importance)
- Unlock the domain for transfer (ask your current provider to do this by opening a ticket or calling them)
- Request an authorisation code for the transfer from your current provider
- Let DoodleIT know steps 1 & 2 have been completed and we will initiate a transfer (we action this within the hour)
Send any authorisation codes to DoodleIT. It is important that the steps above are carried out in the correct order. Point 1 is critical and the single most frequent cause of transfer failure.
We then wait for a confirmation email to be sent out to the administrative contact and once received we will confirm this.
How long does this process take?
Normally they take around 5 days to complete but if the registrar is helpful this can be done the same day. In our experience, they delay as long as they can which is 5 days!
Key considerations before transferring
- Make certain you have a backup copy of all email help on the current mail server.
- If you are using Google Suite or Outlook 365 your email is stored elsewhere and once the new domain name settings are made all email will be available as it was before.
- For .com domain names, you’ll normally need at least 60 days left before expiry.
Transferring a domain name away from DoodleIT
For .co.uk domain names all you need to do is tell us the new registrar’s TAG and we will change this for you FREE of charge. Other options are to keep management of your domain name with DoodleIT and point the domain to another website or email provider using A records or MX records.
For .com domain names, all you need to do is ask us to unlock your domain name for transfer. We will send you an authorisation code and you will need to initiate the transfer with the new registrar.
Again, we could just point your domain name to another website or email provider and retain management for you if you prefer.
DoodleIT provides a complete web design and hosting service complete with ongoing support. Our website maintenance contract takes care of all software updates, backups and security patches. To learn more about web design North Wales service click here.
If you want to know more about how to Buy and Register Domain Names click the link.