How do I set up a mailbox using IMAP on my device or mail client?
Our standard mailboxes can be loaded onto your device or through your mail client either with a POP3 connection or an IMAP connection.
By using an IMAP connection, you can have multiple clients simultaneously connected to the same mailbox. For example, you can have email on your phone, your tablet, and your computer, and when you delete a message from your phone, it will also be deleted on your other devices.
The way your device or mail client is designed may be different from how other programs or devices work, with different names for the same steps.
Your device or program should have detailed information on how to add and set up mailboxes onto the system, but there are general pieces of information you need to complete the process.
- When selecting the account type, select IMAP.
- Your User Name is your full email address.
- Your Password is your mailbox password.
- Your Incoming Mail Server and Outgoing Mail Server are different. Please see the example below for the correct settings for each.
So, for example, if your name is Bob and your domain name is thisismydomain.com:
- User Name:
- Password: password23
- Incoming IMAP Server: imap.extendcp.co.uk
- Outgoing Mail Server: mta.extendcp.co.uk
In the Advanced Features for Outgoing Mail Server, there may be some additional settings that need changing. Please make certain that:
- Your Incoming IMAP Server Port is 993 and your Outgoing Mail Server Port is 587
- You should be using STARTTLS where offered (not every mail client will offer this).
- You are not using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)
- You are using Password for Authentication
If you’re unsure in any way, please contact us and we’ll do our best to help.
DoodleIT customers with email can also use webmail to collect email. This is often used when you can’t access your device or if you have temporary issues with the settings. It’s great as you can access it from anywhere in the world and you only need your email address and email password.